Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service
ISS Australia is jointly responsible for delivering Australia’s Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service (ICAFSS), funded by the Commonwealth Department of Social Services, together with lead partner LifeWorks Relationship Counselling and Education Services. ICAFSS provides both counselling services (LifeWorks’ responsibility) and information and support services (ISS Australia’s responsibility) across Australia.
ICAFSS: Information and Support Services
ISS Australia’s experienced Intercountry Adoption Information and Support workers understand adoption and can provide you with a supportive and collaborative approach to assist you and your family with adoption issues and challenges.
The following Information and Support services are offered to families and couples (including adoptees under the age of 25):
- Advice, support and education during the assessment phase of your intercountry adoption journey and throughout the waiting phase
- Support in planning for and meeting your child and during the transition period when you return home with your child
- Emotional and practical support in managing your child’s behaviours and your responses to these behaviours
- Support in speaking to your child about their adoption, including sharing difficult information, addressing questions about their identity and heritage, and assistance with Life Story work and how to introduce this to your child
- Information and advice in relation to issues common to intercountry adoption
- Referrals to specialised services within your local community including support networks unique to your child’s country of origin
- Guidance around searching for birth family members overseas
Accessing ICAFSS’ Information and Support services
If you would like to enquire about ICAFSS’ Information and Support services, the first step is to contact the Intercountry Adoption Support Coordinator on 1300 543 396 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Coordinator will speak with you about your situation and talk through the process. The Coordinator will help to identify and refer you to an Intercountry Adoption Information and Support worker located in or responsible for your state or territory. Intercountry Adoption Information and Support workers are based in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth, and also offer remote services and periodic visits to Tasmania, ACT and the Northern Territory.
These services are provided free of charge (funded by the Commonwealth Department of Social Services) and appointments can be offered face to face, via telephone or online communication.
About your privacy in relation to ICAFSS’ Information and Support services
ICAFSS’ Information and Support services are confidential and the privacy of you and your family is paramount.
Intercountry Adoption Information and Support workers will seek your consent prior to sharing your details with other agencies, as required by the Privacy Act 1988.
Click here to read ISS Australia’s Client Charter.